Skype Exchange – Mills Lawn and JNV
Students from Mills Lawn Elementary School in Yellow Springs, Ohio, USA communicated via Skye video with students from JNV Devrala Bhiwani School in Haryana India. This exchange was part of the Mills Lawn Media Club’s investigation of life in India. Currently the Media Club is making a series of videos about Mills Lawn’s all school musical production of “The Jungle Book,” which is set in India. To see how the Media Club prepared for the Skype video exchange, check out the video posting below.
Hello India – The Mills Lawn Media Club’s video for the students in India
YSKP and the Mills Lawn Media Club created this video for students in the JNV Devrala Bhiwani School in Haryana India in preparation for a live Skype video chat between the students at the two schools. The Media Club selected this school in India because Mills Lawn is currently working on an all-school musical of “The Jungle Book” that takes place in India. Students at JNV have created this slide show about their school. After watching the slide show the Mills Lawn Media Club created the “Hello India” video, so that JNV students can learn about Mills Lawn. Below are the questions the the Media Club will ask the students at the JNV Devrala Bhiwani School during the Skype video conference.
QUESTIONS FOR DEVRALA BHIVANI STUDENTS (Namita Verma, teacher)
Developed by Mills Lawn Media Club students
1. What’s it like to live all week long at your school?
2. How often do you go home to visit your parents?
3. If you have brothers and sisters, do they go to your school also?
4. Can your parents visit you at your school?
5. Do most of you come from families who live in a city or in a village?
6. Do you have summer vacations?
7. Are there any domesticated animals that live at school with you, like dogs or cats?
8. Do your teachers help you with your homework in the evenings?
9. Are your teachers strict?
10. What languages do you speak?
11. What do you do for fun?
12. What holidays do you celebrate? What’s your favorite holiday?
13. What kind of food do you like? Do you have pizza? Do you have popcorn?
14. Do you eat meat?
15. Do you have gardens where you raise food for the students and teachers at the school?
16. Do you have cell phones? Are you allowed to have them in class?
17. What kind of computers do you have?
18. What kind of animals live in the part of the country where you live?
19. Do you have monkeys where you live? Snakes? Bears? Elephants?
20. Are there Hindu stories about Mowgli (in addition to Mowgli being a character in Rudyard Kipling’s “The Jungle Book,” which is the play we are working on now)?